3 Clips

Here are some music videos I enjoy. The common theme uniting them is that their respective directors have gone on to bigger and better things in Hollywood (ie, helming feature films).


[ The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be (1999) ] Directed by Michel Gondry. This video is wildly virtuosic, if a bit insubstantive. Note around the 2:40 mark how the multiple dancer heads play with perspective--perhaps an early influence on this video (and Conan's cube-like head)??


[ Notorious B.I.G. - Sky's the Limit (1997) ] Directed by Spike Jonze. It's no secret that your humble authors are fans of Mr. Jonze. I particularly enjoy this video because it hits all of the late 90s hip-hop cliches with a decidedly Jonzeian tongue-in-cheek sensibility.


[ Ice Cube - It Was a Good Day (1993) ] Directed by F. Gary Gray. I don't know much about F. Gary Gray except that I think he has a really cool name. Fast forward to the 3 minute mark to see how Cube wakes up his late-night hookup--one of my all-time favorite unintentional comedy moments.

1 comment:

Matt G said...

F. Gary Gray directed the Italian Job and Friday.

Not a stylistic director by any means, but he makes capable, enjoyable movies.

I hear he's kind of a douche, tho.